Slide background

THE PUMPHOUSE: BARRY


The Pumphouse Barry is a Grade II Listed Building built in the 1880’s and previously formed part of Barry’s historic dock complex. Listed in 1992, The Pumphouse was disused for many years but remains an important local landmark situated in the heart of the Innovation Quarter. This project has won the All Wales National Award 2016 (LABC Cymru).

The conversion of The Pumphouse is designed to provide commercial and leisure uses on the ground floor which are complemented by a number of live-work units at a first floor level. A substantial new public space in front of the building will be used for outdoor seating for the restaurants and for events.

The use of local contractors in the redevelopment of The Pumphouse ensured economic benefits were retained locally as will the jobs created by the new commercial and leisure uses within the building.

High quality design was evidenced by great attention to detail involving careful consideration of the past character of The Pumphouse combining with it’s proposed new functions and the imaginative use of parts of the existing structure (for example steel girders functioning as skirting boards in the work/live units).

The result is an impressive outcome for a historic site formerly at risk and an exemplar of good collaborative working between the public and private sectors. The Pumphouse received an RTPI Award in December 2015 and has been nominated for an RICS Award in 2016 other nominations include the RIBA Welsh Awards and the National Planning Awards. The Pumphouse was a finalist in Grand Restorations and won a national planning award. 15 luxury bespoke live/work apartments.
 

 

The Pumphouse Barry